Thursday, November 25, 2010

I did it!!!

Yesterday, November 24, 2010 at 12:30 pm, I did it!! I finsihed my 50 000 words for Nanowrimo. I honestly can't believe that I actually did it. I never finish these sorts of things, and so this time it feels almost sureal. Things get in the way, time runs out, life moves on. But not this time. I wrote the minimum of 1667 or more everyday, averaging about 2000+ words/day, and I did it. Early even!!! I am so excited. The novel itself is not finished yet, by far. I still have more writting to do, and then of course revision, and then more revision, and then editing, and then another revision, before I might even consider it being "finished". But I feel great about this, one huge giant step in the right direction.




I was asked by someone if I would recommend Nanowrimo to anyone trying to acomplish a similar task. And I would have to say, absolutely. Free yourselvs!! Give way to a month of literary writting abandon, feel free to suck!! Forget PERFECT and just write. There were 100s of times where I would say I don't really like this part, or it's not flowing here like I want. But instead of going back and trying to fix it, to make it PERFECT, like I always do, I just plugged on ahead. That's the idea, forget the mistakes, forget the junk writting, just get the word count done. All of that will still be there in the end. I promise :) And also, forget the nasty pile of dirty dishes, and the toys on the floor, and the crumbs that everywhere, and the laundry that needs folding. It's just one month. If you can't honestly give those things up, then be prepared to be staying up late. There are days where the minimum word count is hard to get. Where it feels like pulling teeth every single word that you type. And sitting here, thinking about everything else, is not going to help. Doing everything else certainly won't. Nanowrimo is about a month of forgetting everything and writting. Of course, I have kids, so I can't forget EVERTHYING!! But we bought some Grilled Cheezes from M&M meats, 1 minute grilled cheese in the microwave, you know, things like that. There are ways to make life easy with little planning and little effort. But now that I'm done I really have no excuse to leave those grose dishes and not sweep the floor. But then again I just wrote 50 000 words. So I'm feeling pretty darn great about that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment